Westhampton Beach school news

0
27

Westhampton Beach

Twenty-one fifth-graders from Westhampton Beach Elementary School recently traveled to the Rosemary Kennedy Center in Bellmore to participate in the Long Island Regional Tournament of the 2008 Odyssey of the Mind Competition.

Three teams, each made up of seven students, offered their solutions to long-term problems created by competition organizers. One problem, called the “Odyssey Road Rally,” required teams to build a vehicle that could navigate a course and complete tasks at different stations. The team of Cole Attar, Aidan Bean, Dakota Chiorando, Lucy DiBenedetto, Laura Halsey, Michael Pesce and Will Vakay received a third-place trophy for their work.

“The Eccentrics” challenge, which was sponsored by NASA, asked teams to create a humorous performance involving three eccentric characters who solve a problem regarding an Earth system. Team members included Sarah Culver, Haley Pisciotta, Lauren Capozzola, Paige Lettieri, Kiera Solomon, Natalie Weinacht and Kayla Gansrow.

The third challenge, called “Dino Stories,” required that teams write and perform a humorous skit based on a new, original theory about how dinosaurs became extinct. The team of Emily Beaver, Tommy Boskamp, James Blydenburgh, Victoria Calvaruso, Kathleen Mensch, Katelyn Parry and Sarah Strebel won a second-place trophy for their performance.

Westhampton Beach High School sophomore Rachel Paoletta recently won first place for best feature story in Newsday’s School Journalism Awards competition. Rachel took top honors for her article that appeared in the December 2007 edition of the school newspaper, The Hurricane Eye. The article was titled “Which ‘Space’ is the Place for Friends?” and addressed the pros and cons of the social networking website called MySpace.

Facebook Comments