After night at local bar, man holds woman hostage in his Hampton Bays apartment


A 36-year-old Hampton Bays man held a woman hostage in his bedroom early Thursday morning after he threatened her and two other people with a gun, and he is now facing charges of illegal weapons possession, reckless endangerment and unlawful imprisonment.

After a night out at a local bar, Stephen Greenberg brought three other people—one man and two women—back to his apartment on Bay Avenue West at about 2:30 a.m. Mr. Greenberg, who police said had two previous convictions for misdemeanor illegal weapons possession, then retrieved a 12-gauge pistol grip shotgun from his bedroom and pointed it at the group. One man and one woman, whose names are not being released, were allowed to leave the apartment and they immediately called 911.

After the man and woman were allowed to leave, Mr. Greenberg brought the remaining woman into his bedroom and kept her there for about an hour, until a hostage negotiator from the Town Police convinced Mr. Greenberg to release her.

Police did not specify where the victims were from, nor did they say which bar the four were at before going back to Mr. Greenburg’s apartment. It is not clear whether the four met that night or already knew each other.

Captain Anthony Tenaglia of the Southampton Town Police Department said he did not know why Mr. Greenberg brought the shotgun out of his bedroom. There were no injuries in the incident, but members of the Hampton Bays Volunteer Ambulance were standing by.

The Southampton Town Emergency Services Unit and the New York State Police assisted in the incident.

Mr. Greenberg was charged with first-degree reckless endangerment, third-degree criminal possession of a weapon and first-degree unlawful imprisonment, all felonies, second-degree menacing and unlawful touching, both misdemeanors, as well as unlawful possession of marijuana, a violation. It is not clear whether Mr. Greenburg sexually assaulted the woman.

He was arraigned at Southampton Town Justice Court on Thursday, and is currently being held at the Suffolk County Jail in Riverside in lieu of $80,000 bail.

Facebook Comments