school news

0
29

Wainscott School News

The students have been working hard doing scenery and decorations for the holiday show. They have been practicing their songs and getting into the spirit of the holiday season.

The second- and third-graders completed their first structure project using recycled materials, working in teams to construct a sculpture that could withstand stress and pull and push forces. Their work is on display in the school lobby.

The kindergartners and first-graders have been learning about the seasons and what the changes are from season to season. They have been working on a special project to go along with the theme.

The children finish bowling and start tennis this month. They have also been doing physical education classes at the East End Ice Arena once a week.

Mark you calendar for the holiday concert on Tuesday, December 16, at 7 p.m., in the old school building.

Springs School

The Springs PTA is hosting a holiday raffle and teachers Raymond Wojtusiak and Christine Cleary are selling the tickets. For $5, purchasers may have a chance to win some gifts such as a Wii, Xbox 360, Sony PSP, and a Game Stop gift card. The drawing date is on December 19, just in time for Christmas, in the Springs School gymnasium. The raffle will benefit the school’s activities such as dances, field trips and more.

The Holiday Bazaar was a big hit with PTA volunteers manning the selling tables and wrapping table for four days of shopping for the children.

Science Olympia has started with 31 activities to select from, from disease detectives to crime busters, anatomy to bio process, and many more. Sixth- and seventh-graders can participate and enter their designs. One of the many designs are bridges that students are required to build from wood and glue, and the team of two has only 10 minutes to present and convince the judges their bridge is the best. There are various catapult building activities and one of them is called “the Scrambler.” It includes a catapult built by a team of two launching an egg for the required distance. Yet there’s a catch: the egg being launched that distance cannot be broken and it is not hard-boiled.

The fifth grades are experimenting with the T.E.R.N program from the Group for the East End with Steve Biasetti. They learned all about forms and shapes of glaciers. Mr. Biasetti then taught them how glaciers formed by showing the students the different parts of glaciers.

Irene Tully’s fifth-grade class is nutty about poetry. Mrs. Tully is open to any subject for poetry. Mrs. Tully brought in edible poetry when she brought a bowl of mixed nuts and selected a few children to write about them. Once the children finish their first copy, to revise it they would crack the nut open, and write about it, then eat the nut and write about the experience. Many poems were written, including one by Maritza A. Hernandez:

Walnut

“You look like an eye,

You have little holes on you.

A tip at the top makes you stand up.”

“Thanks, Springs School” was the message received by the Natural Helpers. The Natural Helpers, along with help from Linda Aldah’s Life Skills program, were able to raise a final figure of $1,600. The money was used to make more bears so that Build-A-Bear can provide bears for the young patients of Stony Brook Hospital and the domestic violence shelters in East Hampton and Shirley.

Ms. Aldah’s class raised more than $400, by baking and selling goods last week. They were in such a baking frenzy, they burnt out their hand mixer. The program is looking for a new one for future fund-raisers. Students who built bears included Trang Ngo, Alex Bates, Abby McCann, Dana Cucci, Kate Havelicek, Ricardo Guerra, Tiffany Guitirrez, Florencia Sandoval, Rachel Overton, Elias Van Sickle, Stephanie Tepan, Jack Link, Kasey Daniels and Zack Tilstra.

December 1 was the last day of flag football for the fifth- and sixth-graders. The students named their teams after the professional teams. The teams that got into the finals were the Cowboys and the Giants. Coach Johnny Foster said, “It was an amazing game and both teams were good sports.” The Giants ended up with three touch downs and the Cowboys only had two. The Giants had their photo taken. The next event will be soccer. It is the coaches’ plan to keep the kids moving from one season to another. Students in Ann Marie Engasser’s first-grade class were pleasantly surprised to each receive a response from the East Hampton Town Fire Marshal. After the fire marshal had been at the school educating the students about safety, Ms. Engasser’s class wrote to thank him for coming and each student asked him one more question that they thought of, after his visit. The students were each thrilled to get a note, answering their questions. That note went right into their reading folders where they read them again and again.

East Hampton High School

The Honor Society had a successful response to the recent blood drive collecting a large quantity of blood for donation. Many students helped make the drive a success by both overseeing, and also by making a donation.

As the holiday season approaches, the students involved in the high school’s many clubs are actively fund-raising to benefit local charities. The Key Club, headed by Kim Warren, will be conducting their winter Christmas tree sales at Bayberry Nursery every weekend during the month of December leading up to Christmas. Also, the Key Club will be collecting items to help sponsor “Toys for Tots.” The Jazz Band will also be conducting its annual holiday wreath sale to raise money in support of the club.

The Italian classes taught by Kristine Swickard hosted a band night on December 5 at The Stephen Talkhouse featuring performances by the bands of Mamma Lee, and Consent of Kings. The audience included a large number of adults and teens alike. All sales will help the class in its plans to travel to Italy this coming spring.

Thirty art students from East Hampton High School will have artwork shown in the 2008 Parrish Art Museum’s Student Art Festival. Called “East End Stories: Students Explore our Artistic Heritage,” it opened today, December 10, and runs through January 4, 2009. The opening party for the exhibition is scheduled for Saturday, December 13, from 1 to 4 p.m. The exhibition combines work from the Parrish’s permanent collection with student artwork inspired by images from the Parrish’s new online database, “East End Stories.”

Amagansett School

The monthly “Coffee and Conversation” was held on December 1 and Steven Long, executive director of the Children’s Museum of the East End, was on hand to discuss future plans for CMEE. Also at the meeting, the audience was able to view the latest student newscast that was filmed on November 19. The next “Coffee and Conversation” will be held on Monday, February 2. The January 12, 2009, meeting has been canceled.

On Friday, December 5, the Student Council hosted its monthly Spirit Day. The theme was mix/match. Students and staff wore outfits of stripes and polka dots and/or two different shoes. It was a fun day for all.

Also on Friday, December 5, students in kindergarten through second grade traveled to the Patchogue Theater for the Performing Arts to view “Clara’s Dream, The Nutcracker.” Students really enjoyed this unique jazz adaptation of the original story. The different tap styles really made this masterpiece come to life.

On Monday, December 8, students in kindergarten through fourth grade traveled to the Westhampton Beach Performing Arts Center to see “The Musical Adventures of Flat Stanley.” The students really enjoyed this show and were able to relate Stanley’s experiences with the Amagansett School’s very own Flat Stanley who is out traveling the world.

Please join us for the Amagansett School Winter Musical. It will be held on Thursday, December 11, at 6 p.m. in the gymnasium.

Montauk School

The students are making use of the SMARTboards in their classrooms. The students demonstrated the water cycle from evaporation to condensation, precipitation, and run-off using a combination of written text they added to the SMARTboard tied in with the use of several websites.

The Montauk Fire Department came to the school with its ladder truck last week to help Mr. Malave install the updated weather station on the peak of the roof. The new station is solar-powered and wireless and will be working again soon, sending its information to WNBC-4 in New York City and it can be found on the school’s website.

When one of our seventh-graders broke his leg on the Albany trip. One of the parents on the trip, Lynn Restrepo, called an old friend, Mike Capelli, a longtime summer resident of Montauk and the owner and pilot of a plane, who immediately offered to fly up to Oneonta to transport the student back to Montauk. Our student was met by the Montauk Ambulance and driven to Southampton Hospital, along with his parents, where the emergency room and his doctor were waiting for him. Thanks to Ms. Leonardo, the school nurse, for all she did on this trip.

Ross School

Ross School will present a student-organized Holiday Fashion Show, in collaboration with Intermix in Southampton, on Saturday, December 13, from 5 to 7 p.m. in the Court Theater Ross School Center for Well-Being in East Hampton. Proceeds from the event will go to the Animal Rescue Fund of the Hamptons and the Steven J. Ross Scholarship Fund.

Starting at 6 p.m., Ross students in grades eight to 12 will model clothes for women by Intermix, accompanied by a slide show.

At the heart of the event is the runway, which will be framed by large, round sit-down tables. The evening will also feature Ross eighth-grader Greg Grossman’s GastroBar, serving “big flavors and small portions.” Greg is a noted young chef who has catered numerous events including gallery openings, such as Vered Gallery in East Hampton, as well as large family parties.

Ross in the Mix was organized by four business savvy eighth graders—Greg Grossman, Taylor Cohen, Caroline Lasersohn and Grace Gill—who were inspired to serve their community. Ross School encourages community service and humanitarian projects in an effort to prepare students for meaningful lives and leadership in the global community.

Admission is $25 for Ross School families, $35 general, and includes a gift bag. For more information, or to reserve tickets, call (631) 907-5191 or e-mail cjudson@ross.org.

Facebook Comments