Thomas Peacock Of Amagansett Dies March 9

0
14

Thomas P. Peacock

Thomas P. Peacock of Amagansett died on March 9 of prostate cancer at his winter home in Islamorada, Florida. He was 79.

Mr. Peacock was born on August 8, 1933, in Charlotte, North Carolina. When his father was assigned to cover the White House and Congress by the Associated Press, the family moved to Arlington, Virginia, in 1936. He graduated from Washington & Lee High School in Arlington, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1955 and Columbia Law School in 1959.

At UNC he was sports editor of the Daily Tar Heel and a member of Chi Phi fraternity. At Columbia, he was editor of the Columbia Law School newspaper. He served in the U.S. Navy from 1955 to 1957 as a supply officer on the USS Thuban and at a communications station in Annapolis, Maryland.

After law school, Mr. Peacock was a partner at Winthrop, Stimson, Putnam and Roberts and a founding partner at the law firm now known as Kramer, Levin, Naftalis and Frankel. In addition, he was assistant general counsel of the City of New York and general counsel for MONY. He lived in Manhattan and spent weekends and summer vacations in Amagansett. He retired to Amagansett in 1994, and shortly afterward built his current home on Cross Highway to Devon.

He served on the board of the Amagansett Free Library and in 2004 chaired the capital campaign that funded the restored and expanded library building that dates to the 1800s.

Mr. Peacock was a member of the Devon Yacht Club and won several sailing championships. He also was a member of the New York Yacht Club and participated in the Newport to Bermuda race. In Manhattan, he was a member of the Racquet and Tennis Club. He was a member of the Amagansett Beach Association.

He is survived by his wife, Catherine Lee Peacock; a brother, William T. Peacock Jr. of Arizona; and a nephew, William T. Peacock III of Arizona.

A funeral service was held on March 15 at St. James the Fisherman Church in Islamorada. A memorial will be held this summer in Amagansett.

Memorial donations may be made to VNA/Hospice of the Florida Keys, 92001 Overseas Highway, Tavernier, Florida 33070.

Facebook Comments