The Sag Harbor School District announced on Monday that it has reopened its window to accept nominating petitions for candidates seeking a School Board seat in this spring’s election—a move necessitated by one candidate’s withdrawal from the crowded pool.
The new deadline is 5 p.m. on Friday, May 10. Petitions may be picked up from District Clerk Mary Adamczyk and must be returned to her office with at least 28 signatures.
Seven candidates had tossed their hats into the ring earlier this month in the race for four seats, but one of them, Jonathan Glynn, withdrew his name last week amid questioning over his residency.
One of the district’s criteria for School Board membership is that one must be a district resident for a “continuous and uninterrupted period” of at least one year prior to the election, which this year is Tuesday, May 21.
In trying to verify the candidates’ eligibility, Ms. Adamczyk discovered that Mr. Glynn became a registered voter in the district only recently, on March 26.
Mr. Glynn, who has owned a house on William Street in the village since 1996, says that he has lived there full-time for the past three years.
A letter the district sent him on April 24 requesting notarized documentation within two days of his residency states that Mr. Glynn was registered to vote with a Manhattan address until March 25 and that his driver’s license, which lists a Sag Harbor post office box address was only issued on April 2. His car, likewise, was only recently registered under that address. Ms. Adamczyk also wrote that she had even found a court decision in which Mr. Glynn indicated that his primary residence was at another Manhattan address and in which he refuted that he lived at the William Street address.
In reply on April 25, Mr. Glynn called the questions about his residency “unfounded and without merit.” He wrote that his 2012 taxes had been legally extended and were in the process of being filed from his Sag Harbor home, but requested his name be pulled from the ballot anyway.
“My central position is to not waste resources, whether they be mine at home here in Sag Harbor or yours at school,” he wrote.
In a telephone interview this week, he declined to say whether he currently has other residencies or owns other properties. “I just don’t know why that’s relevant,” he said. He did say that the Manhattan address listed in Southampton Town records as his primary mailing address is simply a mail service, not a residence. The district, he opined, was unwelcoming.
Mr. Glynn was one of many candidates under consideration by the board last summer to fill a seat vacated by Walter Wilcoxen, but the board, in September, ultimately appointed former member Susan Kinsella.
Ms. Kinsella is running this spring, as are fellow incumbents, Board Vice President Chris Tice and Ed Drohan. Rounding out the field are Thomas Re, Daniel Hartnett and David Diskin.
The public will select four members to serve on the board. Two seats are full, three-year terms beginning July 1 and ending on June 30, 2016. The other two seats are for unexpired terms beginning May 21 and expiring on June 30, 2015. The empty seats were formerly held by Mr. Wilcoxen and Gregg Schiavoni, who resigned, in July 2012 and March 2013, respectively.
Their criticisms of board behavior and the resulting calls among parents and community members for better communication and more transparency have set the stage for a hotly contested race.
The budget vote and election will be 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. on May 21 at the Pierson Middle/High School gymnasium.
The Sag Harbor Elementary School Parent Teacher Association and the Pierson Parent Teacher Student Association will hold a “Meet the Candidates” night at 7 p.m. on May 10 in the elementary school gymnasium.