Eastport Community Notes, June 27

0
2

It was “Graduation Weekend” locally and Mother Nature put on her best performance of the season! Those who had planned on entertaining outside were extremely happy about the sunny skies.Eastport South Manor High School’s graduation ceremony took place on Friday night, June 21. It was the first day of summer and the last day of high school as 299 young adults became alumni of ESM. As always, it was a touching ceremony, complete with pomp and circumstance, heartfelt speeches, the Senior Song, the Declaration of Graduation, the awarding of diplomas and the ritual of throwing of the hats in the air at the end.

Nicole Kane, class president, Anna Krauss, class salutatorian, and Kendall Fitzgerald, class valedictorian, gave speeches. You could hear a pin drop. Congratulations to all local graduates, from kindergarten all the way up to high school.

This week marks the official beginning of summer vacation for all students and teachers. I can remember that feeling of freedom. The feeling of knowing you have weeks ahead of you to do all the wonderful summer things we enjoy out here.

I love the thought that I don’t have to wake up and get anyone off to school (actually, ever again!). No more buses to catch. No more lunches to pack. No more permission slips to fill out. No more pencils to sharpen! The day after graduation I woke up virtually stress-free. I will never have to write another note to the attendance office or get a ConnectEd call at 6 p.m.

In other student news, congratulations to Danielle Levasseur who was named to the dean’s list for the spring semester at Caldwell College in New Jersey. Danielle is from Eastport and an ESM graduate.

Brandon Calderone and Matthew Prokesch of Eastport will be attending the University of Delaware this fall and both will attend an orientation program there this summer.

Katelin Papp of Eastport recently graduated from Quinnipiac University in Connecticut.

Brooke Stevens, a graduate of ESM, made the dean’s list for the spring semester at SUNY at Cortland where she is studying psychology.

The Center Moriches Free Public Library is offering several programs for kids, teens and adults this summer. You can sign up for everything from learning how to make pancakes to learning how to be a responsible babysitter. Art classes, jewelry making, magic shows, candle making and movies are on the schedule this summer. There are bus trips, games, poetry readings, music, exercise and computer classes offered as well. Call the library at (631) 878-0940 for details and to register.

Facebook Comments