The East Hampton Town Board last week adopted a comprehensive deer management plan that aims to reduce the town’s white-tailed deer population, largely by professional hunting.
Based on the premise that the town’s cervine population has exploded to an “emergency” level, the plan, approved by the board on Thursday, includes suggestions such as increasing the number of parcels for hunting and having professionals cull the herd.
The adoption of the plan, spearheaded by Councilman Dominick Stanzione, follows town disappointment with a recent $13,000 aerial deer survey. The 877 deer tallied was a drastic difference from the 3,293 deer counted in 2006 by a different method.
Deer in the town and throughout the East End have been blamed for a host of issues, including car crashes, environmental and economic impacts, deer fencing and tick-borne diseases.
Buried Power Lines ConsideredThe Town Board, facing a July 5 deadline, opted last week to file a letter of intent seeking a federal grant to bury power lines along Old Montauk Highway, an estimated $8 million project, of which the town would match an estimated 20 percent.
Board members on Thursday moved forward with the application based on assurances that doing so would not rope them into a commitment.
Supervisor Bill Wilkinson suggested that a special tax district could be created to help pay for burying the lines.
John Keeshan of Montauk, who said he has been pushing for years to get the power lines buried on what he said would otherwise be a scenic highway, warned that if the electric poles were knocked down, a large section of town would be plunged into darkness.
Go-Ahead For “Shark Attack” Party A Fourth of July weekend party expected to attract 3,900 people to Star Island Road in Montauk won Town Board approval last week, despite concerns by some board members over the event’s size.
The event, a fundraiser for the Montauk Playhouse set for Friday, July 5, and Saturday, July 6, dubbed “Shark Attack,” was ultimately okayed for its mass gathering permit on Thursday in a split vote, even though Mr. Stanzione said he was concerned that the board did not have enough time to review an event of this size.
Mr. Wilkinson, who noted that the party application followed all proper protocol and that officials have called it comprehensive, Mr. Stanzione and Councilwoman Theresa Quigley voted in favor, while Councilwoman Sylvia Overby and Councilman Peter Van Scoyoc voted “no.”
For the past three years the event was held at Rick’s Crabby Cowboy Cafe and Marina on East Lake Drive.