Calverton Man Arrested Following Drug Investigation


A Calverton man who was arrested following a car chase in Southampton Village last month is now facing drug charges following an investigation by the East End Drug Task Force.

Joseph Coffey, 50, was arrested by Southampton Town Police at 11:28 a.m. on June 18 and charged with two counts of third-degree criminal sale of a controlled substance and third-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance, all felonies.

According to the arrest report, Mr. Coffey—whose occupation was listed as “drug dealer”—was charged based on an incident on February 21, when he was accused of selling heroin and other narcotics on Long View Road in Southampton.

The investigation was sparked by a May 17 arrest in the village, during which Mr. Coffey led police on a high-speed car chase that ended in a crash on Captain’s Neck Lane and sent him and another driver to the hospital.

According to police, Mr. Coffey has been arrested more than 53 times since 1990.

Since the chase, he has been in the custody of the Suffolk County sheriff’s office at Peconic Bay Medical Center for treatment of a broken femur suffered in the crash.

Man Beaten Outside HomeA Flanders man was treated for minor injuries after he was attacked outside of his Groves Drive home.

The man had walked home from Cabana Latina on State Route 24 at 11:10 p.m. on Father’s Day, June 16, when he was approached from behind by three men while trying to open his front door.

Southampton Town Police said one of the men struck the victim over the head with an aluminum baseball bat, causing him to fall to the floor and hit his face. A second man stole $130 cash and a Blackberry cellphone from his pocket.

The man was treated on scene for the laceration. Police have no witnesses or leads at this time but are investigating the incident.

Arson Investigation In WesthamptonThe Southampton Town fire marshal is investigating a fire that is believed to have been intentionally set behind the Westhampton Care Center on Old Country Road on Saturday.

According to a police report, the fire was reported at 3:17 p.m. by an employee at the facility. The fire was set near the back door, damaging a glass pane and the door.

Police have no leads or witnesses at this time and the incident is under investigation.

Facebook Comments