UPDATE: Cause Of Tuesday Fire In Westhampton Beach That Hospitalized Two Under Investigation


UPDATE, 12:30 a.m. Wednesday:

The cause of Tuesday night’s fire is under investigation by the Southampton Town fire marshal’s office, which has officially taken control of the scene.

According to Fire Marshal John Rankin, the cause of the fire is still unknown, and arson has not been ruled out at this point. The house, which is uninhabitable as a result of the blaze, will remain closed overnight, and the investigation will continue in the morning.

“We are trying to get some information from the individuals who were inside the house about what precluded the fire, and then we will dig for more information,” Mr. Rankin said. “Nothing is ruled out as of yet. Everything is still on the table at this point.”

Also on scene, Westhampton Beach Fire Chief John “Chip” Bancroft said the fire was particularly difficult because of its location, noting that it was on a flag lot and set back more than 450 feet from the nearest fire hydrant. He said once his men were able to get a pumper truck to the lot, the flames were under control in two to five minutes. The fire department remained on the scene for several hours after searching for more victims and stabilizing the scene for the fire marshal investigation.

A third person in the house at the time of the blaze escaped on his own and did not seek medical treatment.

“The guys were absolutely outstanding,” Mr. Bancroft said. “I have a really good group of firefighters, a really solid team.”

The Westhampton Beach, Quogue, Gabreski Airport, and Eastport fire departments were all on scene, as was the Westhampton Beach Village Police Department, Southampton Town Police, the Westhampton War Memorial Ambulance, and the East Quogue and Flanders ambulance companies.

UPDATE, 11:42 p.m. Tuesday:

According to officials on the scene, three people were in the house at the time the fire broke out, and two were pulled out by firefighters and taken to Peconic Bay Medical Center in Riverhead, in unknown condition. No word on the third person.


At least two people are believed to have suffered injuries in a house fire in Westhampton Beach on Tuesday night.

Westhampton Beach Fire Department crews are still on the scene of the Lincoln Street fire as of 11 p.m. Tuesday, and Montauk Highway is closed between Depot Road and Station Road.

The report of the fire came in about 9:45 p.m., according to Southampton Town Police, and fire and ambulance crews responded to find the house fully engulfed in flames.

Ambulance crews from Flanders Northampton Ambulance were called to the scene to assist Westhampton Beach Ambulance crews with two victims.

Southampton Town Police Sergeant Michael Joyce said that police are unable to confirm yet whether there were injuries at the scene.

Facebook Comments