Police: Riverside Man Stabbed Outside His Home On Sunday Morning


A 38-year-old man faces felony charges after authorities said he stabbed another man with a knife outside the victim’s Riverside home early Sunday morning.

Southampton Town Police said James Ayers of Riverhead was arrested at 4:06 a.m. on Ludlam Avenue, not far from the scene of the stabbing, and charged with first-degree assault and third-degree criminal possession of a weapon, both felonies.

Police said Mr. Ayers confronted the victim, who was not identified, at around 1 a.m. when the man was sitting with at least four other people in a car parked outside his home. The victim exited the car and an altercation ensued that resulted in Mr. Ayers stabbing the victim once in the back, just below his right shoulder, leaving him with a 2 inch wide wound.

Detectives did not disclose the reason for the fight; a police report redacted the age of the victim.

Town Police Sergeant Michael Joyce said Monday that he could not specify why the incident occurred or provide any other details about the investigation.

When officers arrived on the scene, they found the victim sitting upright in a chair in his living room, bleeding and suffering from severe respiratory distress, according to the report. He was transported by the Flanders-Northampton Volunteer Ambulance to the Peconic Bay Medical Center in Riverhead, where he was listed in stable condition.

After being arrested and arraigned, Mr. Ayers was remanded to the Suffolk County Jail in Riverside where he is being held without bail, police said.

Rash Of Thefts At

J&V Auto Salvage

Four people were arrested by Southampton Town Police in three separate incidents over four days for trying to steal car parts from J&V Auto Salvage on South Country Road on Quiogue.

Two Shirley men—Christopher Candelario and Philip Boydston, both 18—were charged with petit larceny, a misdemeanor, on the afternoon of August 7 after Mr. Candelario was seen catching items being thrown over the salvage yard fence by Mr. Boydston. They stole an intake manifold, a valve cover and various other parts before being spotted, according to police.

Heather Cunnup, 26, of Bohemia was arrested and charged with petit larceny at about 4:08 p.m. on Friday after stealing an air conditioning compressor by hiding it under her shirt, according to police. She was caught by employees when she attempted to sneak past the front office without paying for the item; she was held until police arrived.

And a man who originally identified himself as a 35-year-old Westbury man was arrested at 4:20 p.m. on August 6 and charged with petit larceny after he was also caught trying to steal auto parts from the same yard. Detectives later learned while processing the man’s fingerprints that they matched those belonging to David C. Hernandez, who is wanted on various warrants in Kansas.

Mr. Hernandez was held overnight and then extradited back to Sedgwick County, Kansas, where he faced multiple criminal charges, including possession of drugs with intent to sell, authorities said. Mr. Hernandez had also been deported previously, according to a police press release.

An employee answering the phone at J&V Auto Salvage on Monday afternoon declined to comment on the rash of attempted robberies.

Two Men Attack
LIPA Worker

Southampton Town Police arrested two men in East Quogue on August 7 for attacking a Long Island Power Authority employee with a coffee mug and threatening him with a shovel.

Sebastian Martin, 47, was arrested at 1:30 p.m. at his Montauk Highway home and charged with second-degree menacing, a misdemeanor, for hitting the employee with a coffee mug, cutting the man’s left arm earlier that afternoon.

During the altercation, authorities said Paul Martin, 44, of Hampton Bays picked up a large flat-head shovel and threatened to hit the employee with it. The younger Mr. Martin was arrested at 1:11 p.m. and also was charged with second-degree menacing.

The police report does not explain why the LIPA employee was at the house in the first place, and authorities did not immediately provide additional information, including the relationship between the two arrestees.

Both men were transported to police headquarters in Hampton Bays for processing.

Facebook Comments