Volunteers Extinguish House Fire In East Hampton Monday Night

0
2

At least 60 firefighters helped knock down flames that erupted in an East Hampton Village home on Monday night.

Emergency crews responded to a call that came in at 10:58 p.m. for a working structure fire at a two-story mansion on East Dune Lane. The fire, which started and was contained in a food pantry in the basement, was put out within 15 to 20 minutes, according to East Hampton Fire Department 2nd Assistant Chief Chris Hren.

The residents, about five people, were home at the time of the fire, but everyone got out and no one was injured, East Hampton Fire Department Chief Tom Bono said.

The fire was likely caused by an overheated fluorescent light fixture in the pantry, East Hampton Town Fire Marshal Thomas Baker said.

“The smoke alarms did work and one of the boys in the house smelled something,” he said. “He discovered the fire when he opened the pantry door and when he saw flames and smoke he shut the door. That’s key. Had he left the door open we could’ve had a bigger fire.”

Although no flames escaped the basement, the first floor suffered extensive smoke damage, Mr. Baker added.

Firefighters and emergency responders from the Sag Harbor and Amagansett fire departments joined the East Hampton Fire Department in extinguishing the fire, and the Springs Fire Department was on standby at the East Hampton firehouse.

Some volunteers left sleep to respond to the scene—one man wore pajamas under his gear.

Fire police directed traffic at the intersection of Dunemere Lane and Highway Behind the Pond so that responders could safely get to and from the house.

“Everybody did a great job,” Chief Bono said. “It was a great stop. The fire was knocked down really quick and kept contained in one area.”

Facebook Comments