Remsenburg-Speonk Community Notes, October 17

0
2

It sounded like we had a sick deer in the woods next to our house. A large herd sleeps there, and there was a rushing sound almost like a deer blowing its nose. Too busy to check on the deer—what exactly can be done for a deer with the flu?—we rushed into the house to get ready for baseball. While filling up a water bottle at the sink, a wild turkey strolled into my garden.The jalapeño plants seem to attract all the animals. They now seem comfortable that the farm has no predators, so we now see them often. I suspected that they might make other sounds. I am sure we would have recognized the gobble that they make. I found on Google that they make an entire series of not well understood sounds. These turkeys were sneeze-cough-hissing at us from the woods.

I wish I could warn the strange-looking creatures that it might be a false sense of safety come Thanksgiving—there are hunters near, but not on my property!

For a completely different and lovely sound, Joan Rowland is playing at St. Mark’s Episcopal Church on Saturday, October 19, at 4:30 p.m. She will be playing Bach, Mozart, Liszt and Chopin on the piano for an hour. According to The New York Times, Ms. Rowland has “the ability to spin a musical narrative directly, songfully and with sharp intelligence.”

There will be a reception to follow with wine and cheese. The price at the door is $20; children and students will not be charged. St. Mark’s is located on Main Street in Westhampton Beach.

The Westhampton Beach Performing Arts Center continues to screen great cinema. In “Hotel Normandy,” a French film, two people who no longer believe in love find each other, and it seems nothing can stop their personal destinies. It will be shown on Friday, November 1, at 7:30 p.m., Saturday at 4 and 7:30 p.m., and again Sunday at 4 and 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $15 for adults, $9 for students/seniors and $5 for PAC film members. For tickets, you can call the box office at (631) 288-1500, or go online at www.whbpac.org.

The recent Remsenburg Association meeting was attended by more than 50 members, and they elected three new directors to the board: Michele LeMoal-Grey, Mary Hull and Nic Millard. A big “thank you” goes to retiring directors Paul Siller, Donna Simon Woods and Jan Vinokour for their service.

Police Chief Robert Pearce of Southampton also spoke to the group about the recent rash of larcenies in the area. Although there has been a recent uptick in larcenies, Chief Pearce told the group that overall this area continues to be a low-crime area. The police arrested one suspect and have apprehended others. He did urge residents to take appropriate safety measures.

Remsenburg-Speonk Elementary School children have been selling ducks for the sixth annual Duck Race to be held at the end of Shore Road on November 2 at noon. The ducks are being sold for $10 each, with 75 percent of the proceeds of this event funding the end-of-year Boston trip, and to help offset the cost of the year-end dance party. The remaining 25 percent will be awarded to ducks finishing through third place. Ducks can be purchased at various locations around town and at SugarDaddy’s toy store on Main Street in Westhampton Beach.

Facebook Comments