Update: Students Return To Southampton Elementary School; Boiler Blamed For Gas Smell

0
19

UPDATE: Monday, 10:20 a.m.

Classes have resumed and students are safe after the fire department cleared the building on Monday morning, Southampton Fire Department 2nd Assistant Chief Chris Brenner said.

According to Chief Brenner, the fire department was called to the school at 9:31 a.m. for the gas smell, which was coming from the school boiler room. Mr. Brenner said the school turned on the boiler for the first time this morning, most likely causing the odor. Southampton Fire Chief Dennis Roy was in charge on scene.

The boiler was quickly shut off, and fire officials registered normal readings for carbon monoxide and gasoline throughout the entire building. By 9:50 a.m., students were allowed to return to the building, and classes resumed.

The school will have someone in to look at the boiler before restarting it, Mr. Brenner said.

UPDATE: Monday, 10:15 a.m.

It is unclear at this time if students are being evacuated from the building or relocated within the school.

District and fire officials were not available Monday morning.

ORIGINAL STORY

Southampton Elementary School was being evacuated on Monday morning after reports of a gas smell in the Pine Street building.

The evacuation was precautionary, according to Detective Herman Lamison of the Southampton Village Police Department.

More information was not immediately available.

Facebook Comments