East Hampton Fire Chief Tom Bono said that the fire started while three adults were inside the two-story home and looked as if it started over by some garbage cans near the home and climbed up the wooden deck. The residents of the home got out safely.
When firefighters arrived on the scene, the flames were “going pretty good up the side of the house,” Chief Bono said.
A grill with a propane tank fed the flames as well, he said, but the fire was knocked down in about 15 minutes.
About 40 to 50 firefighters, including the Rapid Intervention Team from the Sag Harbor Fire Department, responded.
The chief said the fire marshal deemed the fire “not suspicious.”
The house itself is not totalled—one wall was “pretty burnt out” and two bedrooms were hit with flames “just a little bit,” according to the chief.
“My guys did an excellent job—they got the fire under control, it was an awesome stop, and everybody went home safe.”
A house fire broke out at a home on Cove Hollow Road on Monday evening, according to East Hampton Town Police.
A 9-1-1 call came in at 6:03 p.m. about flames at 24 Cove Hollow Road. The East Hampton Fire Department was on the scene in minutes and knocked the flames down, police said.
No one was injured and the fire marshal deemed it not suspicious.
East Hampton Fire Chief Tom Bono has not yet returned calls for comment.