Field Hockey Game Under Protest; Sherwood Paces Pierson


An apparent misinterpretation of new overtime rules and procedures led to a protest of the outcome of the Southampton vs. East Hampton field hockey game in Southampton on Thursday night, in which Southampton was initially declared a 1-0 winner.

In what was an intense, back-and-forth game, the teams played to a scoreless tie through regulation and a 10-minute, seven-on-seven sudden-death overtime period. At that point, the teams started a round of one-on-ones, where each team designates five players who take individual turns going one-on-one with the goalie and trying to score. Both teams scored on four out of their five attempts, leading to another round of one-on-ones, which is where the game came into question. According to both Southampton head coach Jess Zukosky and East Hampton head coach Robyn Mott, the officials told them that the second round of one-on-ones would be sudden death, despite the fact that both Zukosky and Mott said that while they weren’t 100 percent certain, they believed that the second round of one-on-ones was not supposed to be sudden death.

Both coaches decided they would protest the outcome of the game, a decision they made before that second round began and a winner was declared. Southampton’s Meggie Gallo scored and East Hampton then failed to score, thus leading to Southampton being declared the winner. But on Monday, Zukosky and Mott said they had found out that they indeed were right, and the rules were misinterpreted by the official, therefore the teams will need to finish the game at a later date. Neither coach had gotten word yet on when the conclusion of that game would happen, and at what point exactly it would be resumed, although Zukosky said she hoped that Gallo’s first goal of the second set of one-on-ones would still stand.

As for the game itself, Mott was proud of her team’s effort, especially considering her squad was forced to play most of the second half and all of the first 10-minute overtime session down a player, due to a red card. East Hampton had a chance to score late in the first half, when Southampton goalie Alex Ambrose covered up the ball on a save attempt. She redeemed herself, however, making a save on Alyssa Bahel’s stroke attempt.

Zukosky, on the other hand, was less than pleased with her team’s performance.

“I didn’t feel like we had a very good game,” she said. “It may have been a good game in terms of the fact that it was neck and neck, but I don’t think we played a very solid game.”

It was the only game of the week for both teams, although each was scheduled to play on Monday, September 15. (For results, see this week’s Monday Roundup article.)

East Hampton will host an alumni game on Saturday at 10 a.m. on the turf field at the high school. All alumni of East Hampton field hockey are invited to attend.

Pierson Cruises

In its only game of the week, the Pierson field hockey team did not experience any drama or suspense, as it pounced on Port Jefferson early and earned a 7-1 home win on Thursday afternoon.

Sophomore Ana Sherwood scored four goals, her first coming just 48 seconds into the game. The Lady Whalers wasted no time in proving they were the dominant team, scoring three goals in the first three minutes, and going up 5-0 at halftime. Erika Selyukova, Hollie Schleicher and Cali Cafiero each scored once, and Pierson had 14 shots on goal compared to just three for Port Jeff. Sheila Mackey made two saves for Pierson.

ON THE SCHEDULE: East Hampton—Wednesday, 9/17, at Miller Place, 4:30 p.m.; Saturday, 9/20, vs. Harborfields, 2 p.m. Southampton—Wednesday, 9/17, vs. Greenport/Southold, 6:30 p.m.; Friday, 9/19, vs. Sayville, 4:30 p.m.; Tuesday, 9/23, at Comsewogue, 6 p.m. Pierson—Wednesday, 9/17, at Shoreham/Wading River, 4 p.m.; Saturday, 9/20, vs. Hampton Bays, 2 p.m.; Monday, 9/22, at Sayville, 4 p.m.

Facebook Comments