Sagaponack Barn Burns Down Early Sunday Morning

0
10

An electrical wire, felled by a tree branch, sparked a fire that destroyed a Hedges family barn in Sagaponack early Sunday morning.

Firefighters from the Bridgehampton Fire Department were able to prevent the blaze from spreading to the adjacent farmhouse, on a corner of Hedges Farm.

The Bridgehampton Fire Department responded to the alarm at around 1 a.m. and found the barn, at 602 Town Line Road, fully engulfed in flames.

Department Chief Gary Horsburgh said the barn, which was unoccupied at the time, was beyond saving and that only the beams of the structure now remain. Firefighters were on the scene for more than two hours.

Mr. Horsburgh surmised at the time that the fire had been sparked by a tree branch that hit a wire on the property, a point confirmed by fire marshals who investigated the aftermath of the fire. There were no injuries to firefighters, according to Mr. Horsburgh.

Mr. Horsburgh said Southampton Fire Department firefighters were standing by as mutual aid to the Bridgehampton crews throughout the early morning.

The property on which the barn stood is registered as owned by Bryan Hedges and the Robert L. Hedges Trust, according to Southampton Town records. It sits at the corner of Town Line Road and Hedges Lane.

It is not clear exactly how old the structure was, but neighbors said it is believed to have dated to the early 19th century.

Facebook Comments