Police: Man Charged With Attempted Rape After Attacking Woman In Hampton Bays


An East Quogue man is facing multiple felonies, including attempted rape and assault, after authorities said he attacked and tried to rape a woman on Saturday night in Hampton Bays.

Southampton Town Police said the 21-year-old woman was leaving the Out of the Blue Seafood Market on Montauk Highway in Hampton Bays at around 9:30 p.m. Saturday when a man wrestled her to the ground, choked her and attempted to rape her. She screamed for help and fought off her attacker, who then fled the scene on foot.

Abner Ortiz-Tezen, 21, of East Quogue was arrested at his Bay Avenue home on Sunday by detectives and charged in connection with the attack. He was charged with first-degree attempted rape, first-degree unlawful imprisonment and second-degree assault, all felonies, as well as criminal obstruction of an airway, a misdemeanor, according to police.

Police said the victim knew Mr. Ortiz-Tezen, though they declined to confirm in what capacity. Additionally, police did not say how they found Mr. Ortiz-Tezen, or what time Sunday he was taken into custody. Detectives did not return calls on Tuesday and Wednesday seeking additional information.

On Monday morning, Mr. Ortiz-Tezen, who police said is unemployed, was arraigned in Southampton Town Justice Court and subsequently remanded to Suffolk County Jail in Riverside in lieu of $400,000 bail.

A representative from the Suffolk County district attorney’s office did not return multiple calls placed on Tuesday and Wednesday seeking additional details about Mr. Ortiz-Tezen.

An employee answering the phone at the Out of the Blue Seafood Market on Tuesday morning refused to comment on the attempted rape, which occurred near the business and near the intersection of Canoe Place Road and East Montauk Highway.

A woman who answered the phone at the nearby Cowfish restaurant on Montauk Highway said she and other employees thought police were responding to a robbery Saturday night.

“We thought someone broke in because they saw police cars, but that’s really scary,” she said, noting that she has worked in the area for the past five years. The woman hung up when a reporter asked for her name and job title.

Facebook Comments