UPDATE: Police Identify Victim Of Industrial Accident In East Hampton


UPDATE: Saturday, 4:10 p.m.

On Saturday, East Hampton Town Police identified the victim of the incident as George J. Lombardi, 75, of East Hampton.

As of Saturday morning, Mr. Lombardi was still at Stony Brook University Hospital, in critical condition.

Mr. Lombardi had sustained injuries after a stack of sheet rock had fallen on him at Riverhead Building Supply in East Hampton on Friday.

UPDATE: 3:35 P.M.

John Callahan, president of Riverhead Building Supply, said on Friday afternoon that they are cooperating with East Hampton Police Department investigators to find out the cause of the accident in which a customer was crushed by Sheetrock on Friday morning at the Dairy Yard in East Hampton and airlifted to Stony Brook University Hospital.

“We’re trying to monitor as best we can the condition of the individual,” he said.

Mr. Callahan said a Riverhead Building Supply employee accompanied the victim to the hospital.

“It was just a tragic, tragic thing. We wish the best to him and his family for a good recovery,” he said.

East Hampton Town Police Chief Michael Sarlo said they have not yet released the name of the victim and do not have any information on his condition at this time.

Mr. Callahan said the Dairy Yard plant has been reopened for business.

ORIGINAL STORY: 11:29 a.m.

A customer at Riverhead Building Supply was airlifted to Stony Brook University Hospital on Friday morning with serious lower body injuries after being crushed by a pallet of Sheetrock.

The accident occurred at about 10:30 a.m. at the Riverhead Building Supply Dairy Yard at 1 Cove Hollow Road in East Hampton.

East Hampton Town Police do not have more specifics on the incident at this time, but Police Chief Michael Sarlo said the man was transported by East Hampton Ambulance to East Hampton Airport to be flown to the hospital by medevac. He said the customer was conscious and alert at the time of the accident.

East Hampton Fire Department Chief Richard Osterberg said Heavy Rescue responded to the scene to free the customer, who had been pinned under 6 courses of Sheetrock.

Detectives are currently on the scene investigating the incident.

A worker at the plant was turning contractors away Friday morning as the business location was closed for the day. He said no one at the warehouse could comment on the incident.

A representative of Riverhead Building Supply could not immediately be reached for comment on Friday.

Facebook Comments