According to First Assistant Chief of the Bridgehampton Fire Department Jeff White, the garage was destroyed in the fire, as only two sides of it remain standing.
Mr. White said that the homeowner had been building a “hot rod” car for about a year and he was almost done. “He was welding something and the sparks caught fire,” he said.
No one was injured, Mr. White said, adding that once the fire department arrived, it took about five minutes to completely extinguish the fire.
A detached garage caught fire in Bridgehampton on Friday afternoon.
Both the Southampton Town Police and the Bridgehampton Fire Department responded to the scene on Jobs Lane at about 1 p.m.
Southampton Town Police Sergeant Steve Miller said further information was not immediately available, including the extent of the fire and the damage caused to the building.