85-year-old Man Dies After Fishing Boat Capsizes In Shinnecock Inlet


Update, 8 p.m. Sunday:

Southampton Town Police identified the deceased as Stian Stiansen of East Quogue and the survivor as Scott Finne, 42, of Eastport, in a press release on Sunday evening.

According to police, the men took the commercial fishing vessel Pauline IV out early Sunday morning. Upon their return into the inlet, several large waves overturned the boat.

Mr. Finne was observed from the shore clinging to a flotation device, and the U.S. Coast Guard and Suffolk County Police aviation responded. A nearby Sea Tow operator became aware of the subject in the water and rescued him, police said.

At approximately 3 p.m., Mr. Stiansen was located on the beach on the east side of the Shinnecock inlet and was transported to Southampton Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 3:40 p.m., according to police.

The boat came to rest on the beach east of the Shinnecock Inlet and will be removed by the U.S. Coast Guard.

Other agencies that responded included Southampton Village Police, Suffolk County Parks Police, Southampton Town Bay Constables, Hampton Bays Fire Department, Southampton Fire Department, North Sea Fire Department, Sag Harbor Fire Department, Hampton Bays Ambulance, Southampton Village Ambulance, and Suffolk County Emergency Coordinators.

Update, 6 p.m.:

According to Coast Guard Petty Officer Anthony Kozak, the captain of the Pauline who died was Stian Starson, 85.

Petty Officer Kozak said that in the report that the Coast Guard received, the survivor told Sea Tow that the boat, a 45-foot stern trawler, was picked up by a wave on their way out of the inlet and slammed into the jetty and capsized.

The survivor was rescued by Sea Tow after 15 minutes into the rescue and the deceased was found approximately 45 minutes when they located him on a jetty, Petty Officer Kozak said.

The Coast Guard has not yet conducted its official investigation, but is currently working on its initial investigation, he said.

Original Story:

A fishing boat rolled over in the Shinnecock Inlet on Sunday afternoon, leaving its captain dead, according to a Hampton Bays Fire Department source.

There were two men on board when the boat capsized near Oakland’s Restaurant at around 2 p.m.—both men were pulled from the boat and taken to the hospital. One man was in good condition but the captain is believed to be dead, the source said.

The U.S. Coast Guard identified the boat as the Pauline.

The U.S. Coast Guard, the Hampton Bays Dive team, the Sag Harbor Dive team, the North Sea Fire Department, the Southampton Fire Department, Southampton Town Police, Town bay constables, Hampton Bays Volunteer Ambulance and Sea Tow responded to the scene.

Facebook Comments