UPDATE: Man Pulled From Flanders Bay Pronounced Dead


UPDATE, TUESDAY, 4:30 p.m.

A man that was pulled from Flanders Bay Monday afternoon was pronounced dead at the Peconic Bay Medical Center after numerous unsuccessful attempts to resuscitate him, according to Southampton Town Police, who declined to identify the victim.

Police said the cause of death remains under investigation.

The man was clamming in Flanders Bay with his relative when the wind and tide caused their 23-foot aluminum boat to to come off its anchor and drift away, according to police. One man swam toward the boat, and the second man signaled to a passing Atlantis Long Island Aquarium tour boat for help when he lost site of the swimmer. People aboard the tour boat spotted the swimmer in the water near the drifting boat and called the U.S. Coast Guard for assistance. They were unable to pull him aboard.

The man was unconscious and not breathing when the Coast Guard arrived. The officers pulled him aboard their vessel and performed CPR while they transported him to the Point Road boat ramp in Flanders, where he was transferred to a Flanders Northampton Volunteer Ambulance and taken to the hospital.

Police declined to identify both the victim and his relative, citing an ongoing investigation. Southampton Town Police Detective Michael Smith said he did not know how far from shore the men were, or how deep the water was at that location.


The Hampton Bays Coast Guard pulled an unconscious man from Flanders Bay near Birch Creek Road Monday afternoon after an Atlantis Long Island Aquarium tour boat spotted him in the water. The man was transported to Peconic Bay Medical Center by Flanders-Northampton Volunteer Ambulance.

Petty Officer Michael Fusco said the Southampton Town Bay Constables rescued a second man, who was stranded in the water when their boat drifted away. He did not share any additional information about the nature of the accident or how far off shore the rescues occurred.

He said people aboard the Long Island Aquarium tour boat attempted to pull the unconscious man aboard, but were not able to do so, and reported the incident at about 2:30 p.m. The Coast Guard was on scene 11 minutes later.

Facebook Comments