Man Charged With DWI, Striking Bicyclist With Car


A bicyclist was taken to Southampton Hospital earlier this week after police said he was struck in Water Mill by a drunk driver who fled the scene.

Jeffery W. Lawrence, 35, was driving on Montauk Highway shortly after 1 a.m. on Sunday when he struck the bicyclist, whom police did not identify. Mr. Lawrence was found by Southampton Town Police a short time later and linked to the crash by damage to his car that matched evidence from the scene and the victim’s account.

The bicyclist was taken to Southampton Hospital by Southampton Volunteer Ambulance and treated for minor injuries. He was released a short time later.

Mr. Lawrence was taken to police headquarters for processing, where he was charged with DWI and leaving the scene of an accident with personal injury, both misdemeanors, as well as moving from his lane unsafely and making an unsafe U-turn, both violations.

Man ApprehendedSouthampton Village Police had to pepper-spray a Riverhead man who ran from police after being arrested for driving with a revoked license.

Randy W. Salmons, 33, was driving a 2007 Chevrolet eastbound on Hill Street on Friday when police said he was driving erratically, passing vehicles and entering the oncoming lane of traffic. He was stopped on Windmill Lane just after 8 a.m. when, police said, he provided officers with a fake name. Police determined that Mr. Salmons’s license has been revoked four times since 2008 for alcohol-related offenses.

After arresting Mr. Salmons, who is on probation, officers put him in the back of a police car. A few minutes later, he was able to climb out of the window and ran down the street. After a brief pursuit, officers tried to subdue him with pepper spray, which led to a scuffle in which one officer suffered a minor hand injury.

Mr. Salmons was taken to police headquarters, where he was charged with second-degree assault, a felony, second-degree aggravated unlicensed operation, false personation, resisting arrest, and third-degree escape, all misdemeanors. His vehicle was impounded and he was held for arraignment at Suffolk County Jail in lieu of $3,000 cash bail.

Attacker Wields Meat CleaverTwo Flanders men duked it out last week over at least one woman, according to Southampton Town Police, who said their dispute dragged on over several days.

On Tuesday morning, Gilber Perez-Ortiz, of Riverhead, and an unidentified Flanders man started the fight at a residence on Albany Avenue. During the fight, Mr. Perez-Ortiz hit the other man with an extension cord, and was subsequently charged with second-degree assault, according to police. He was taken to police headquarters, arraigned and released.

Four days later on Saturday, Mr. Perez-Ortiz reported that the other man retaliated and attacked him with a meat cleaver at 7:30 a.m. Mr. Perez-Ortiz ran to his car and attempted to flee the scene, but police said the man threw the cleaver, causing approximately $250 worth of damage to the driver’s side door.

Police have not identified the second man and said they are still investigating the incident.

Facebook Comments