George L. Powell Jr., Formerly Of Eastport, Dies December 5

0
20

George L. Powell Jr. of Stuart, Florida, formerly of Eastport, died on December 5 from complications related to Alzheimer’s disease. He was 83.

The only child of George and Mabel Powell, he was born on May 19, 1930, and was known locally by his nickname, Pud. He graduated from Eastport High School in 1947, and married his wife, June E. Werner, on September 11, 1954.

Growing up, Mr. Powell was a caddy at the Long Island Country Club in Eastport, and golf became a lifelong passion, which he enjoyed until shortly before his death. In high school, he participated in various drama productions, was on the staff that produced the yearbook and school newspaper, and served as a class officer for two years. He was also on the basketball team, his height proving beneficial to the team. After graduation, Mr. Powell served as a sergeant in the U.S. Army, after which he spent a short time working, alongside his father and uncles, at a family duck farm.

He later began work at a local insurance company and went on to became a branch manager of Eastern Federal Savings and Loan Association in Center Moriches. Mr. Powell finally found his niche when he became deputy chief clerk of the Suffolk County Court in Riverhead, retiring in 1990 as chief clerk.

Mr. Powell and his wife enjoyed attending the annual Court Clerk Conference in the Catskills. This eventually led them to spend summers in Roscoe, enjoying the sights, fishing and golf. The courses there were different than on Long Island, adding some challenges that helped improve his game. He scored his only hole-in-one in March 2012.

Mr. Powell was a member of the Seatuck Sportsman’s Association, serving a term as treasurer; a member of the East Moriches Rod and Gun Club; and a 57-year member of the Eastport Fire Department, serving at one time as treasurer. He was also a member of the Twin Village Golf Club in Roscoe and the Martin County Golf and Country Club in Stuart.

Survivors said all who knew him remember him as an especially kind and caring individual who took time to listen.

Mr. Powell is survived by his wife of 59 years, June; a daughter, Sandra Northrup and husband Mark of Eastport; a son, Gary Powell and wife Pamela of East Moriches; and grandchildren, Ethan Kirwin, Sarah Powell, Andrew Kirwin and Zachary Powell.

A memorial service will be held on June 7 at Eastport Bible Church.

Memorial donations may be made to Broadmoor Assisted Living, 200 Dixieland Drive, Fort Pierce, Florida 34982, or Treasure Coast Hospice, 5090 NW Dunn Road, Fort Pierce, Florida, 34981.

Facebook Comments