Clayton P. Morey, a longtime resident of East Hampton, died January 26, just shy of his 86th birthday.
Born on Valentine’s Day in 1928 to Sylvester and Minneta Morey, Mr. Morey was an only child. He grew up in Garden City and graduated from Dartmouth College. While attending graduate school at Columbia University for architecture, he worked as a graphic designer for the industrial design firm of Raymond Loewy Associates. At a 1952 company Christmas party he met Frances White, and they married in August 1953.
In 1964 they moved from New York City to East Hampton, where Mr. Morey practiced architecture for more than 40 years, primarily working on residential projects but also non-residential projects, including a wing of the East Hampton Library and the Lutheran church in Amagansett. In addition, he was involved with the community through membership and chairmanship on both the East Hampton Town and East Hampton Village planning boards and the Design Review Board, helping to contribute to the beauty of East Hampton.
Mr. Morey enjoyed playing golf while a member of the Maidstone Club and was an active reader, making weekly trips to the East Hampton Library. He was also a collector of Matchbox cars and model buses and had a model railroad named The T-Square and Triangle Line.
He is survived by his wife, Frances, of East Hampton; and five children, Clayton Jr. of Putnam, Clare Ouelette of Colorado, Patricia Power of Monroe, Susan Morey-Rodriguez of Colorado and Richard Morey of East Hampton; and four grandchildren.
A wake was scheduled at the Yardley and Pino Funeral Home in East Hampton from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. on January 28, with a service during the evening wake. Interment was to take place at 11 a.m. the following day at Most Holy Trinity Cemetery in East Hampton.
Memorial donations may be made to the East Hampton Historical Society, www.easthamptonhistory.org, or the East Hampton Library, www.easthamptonlibrary.org.