Driver Pleads Guilty In Sag Harbor Head-On Collision, May Face Two Years In Prison


A Sag Harbor man who police said was responsible for sending a woman and her son to the hospital with serious injuries after driving drunk and causing a head-on collision last July pleaded guilty to a seven-count indictment on January 26, the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office said in a press release.

William Hurley, 60, was charged at a Central Islip court conference with two counts of vehicular assault in the second degree, assault in the second degree, assault in the third degree, two counts of DWI, and reckless driving for causing the collision, District Attorney Thomas Spota said in the release.

Mr. Hurley was driving his Toyota pickup truck when he swerved into oncoming traffic and collided head-on with a BMW driven by Elizabeth Krimendahl, 53, of New York City, Mr. Spota said. Police said Mr. Hurley’s blood alcohol level was .14, where the legal limit is .08 percent.

Both Ms. Krimendahl and her then 6-year-old son, Thaddeus, had to be extricated from their vehicle by the heavy rescue unit of the East Hampton Fire Department. Ms. Krimendahl was flown by Medevac helicopter to Stony Brook University Medical Center in serious condition and Thaddeus was first transported to Southampton Hospital, then to Stony Brook, also in serious condition.

Ms. Krimendahl suffered a leg injury while her son, who had been in a child seat in the backseat of his mother’s BMW, was hospitalized with skull injury, Mr. Spota added.

“The defendant, who was driving all over the highway crossing over the double yellow line several times prior to the crash, told East Hampton Town police officers that he was tired, and admitted at the scene that he consumed two drinks made of vodka and grapefruit juice, drinks that he described as ‘strong ones,’” Mr. Spota said, adding that Mr. Hurley told police that he thought he fell asleep at the wheel.

Mr. Hurley, who owns Peconic Beverage on Pantigo Place in East Hampton, was taken to Southampton Hospital and then Stony Brook for treatment, also in serious condition with neck, back, arm and hand injuries. He was charged with DWI and released on an appearance ticket.

State Supreme Court Justice Fernando Camacho made a promise to sentence him to two years’ incarceration and two years of post-release supervision.

Facebook Comments