Police: Drunk Driver Left License Plate Behind At Accident Scene


A 24-year-old Flanders man was charged with both a felony and DWI this weekend after authorities said he hit another car and fled the scene, leaving behind a crucial piece of evidence: one of his license plates.

Amilcar Soyos-Chamale was arrested by Southampton Town Police at 2:55 a.m. Saturday at his home on Oak Avenue in Flanders and charged with second-degree criminal possession of a forged instrument, a felony, as well as DWI, third-degree aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle, and leaving the scene of an accident causing injury, all misdemeanors. He was also ticketed for unlicensed operation of a vehicle, failure to yield during a left turn, making an unsafe lane change, failing to stop and consuming an alcoholic beverage in a motor vehicle, all violations.

Police said Mr. Soyos-Chamale hit another vehicle at 1:25 a.m. while making an illegal left turn onto Flanders Road from Oak Avenue, causing the other car to go off the road and into a tree. Mr. Soyos-Chamale then fled the scene heading northbound on Flanders Road, according to authorities.

The driver of the other vehicle was taken to Peconic Bay Medical Center in Riverhead and treated for non-life-threatening injuries, police said.

Officers found one of Mr. Soyos-Chamale’s license plates on the ground near the accident scene and located him a short time later at his home, where he was found to be unsteady on his feet, they said. Police said he performed poorly on both a standard field sobriety test and a prescreen breath test. Mr. Soyos-Chamale did not need medical attention.

Authorities also discovered that Mr. Soyos-Chamale, a native of Guatemala, had a suspended legal status and was in possession of a forged permanent resident identification card under the name “Amilcar Perez.”

He was arrested and held overnight for arraignment later that morning in Southampton Town Justice Court. He was released on his own recognizance and is due back in court on Tuesday, June 10.

Trailer Stolen, Sold

A 27-year-old Hampton Bays resident was arrested by Southampton Town Police for stealing a flatbed trailer from outside a home in Shinnecock Hills in December and then selling it to a friend last month.

Ryan Griffith told police he saw the trailer, which is used for transporting and dumping debris and valued at $3,000, at 8 p.m. on December 6 outside a home on Club Drive, according to Town Police Detective Sergeant Lisa Costa. He then hitched the trailer to his pickup truck and drove off, with the intention of using the trailer to benefit his own landscaping business.

He also told authorities that he kept the trailer outside a house on Duvall Drive in Hampton Bays for several months, until a friend offered to buy it from him for $2,500. The sale was completed on April 15, police said.

Officers brought Mr. Griffith in for questioning last Thursday, May 15, and later charged him with one count each of third- and fourth-degree grand larceny, both felonies, Det. Lt. Costa said. The first charge was for stealing the trailer and the second was for selling it. Police recovered the trailer.

Mr. Griffith was held overnight and arraigned the next day in Southampton Town Justice Court. He was released on his own recognizance and must return to court at a later date.

Info On Remsenburg Robbery

Southampton Town Police have released more information about the Remsenburg burglary that resulted in a multi-agency search of the area last week.

One of the homeowners told detectives that someone threw a large rock through the front door of his Nidzyn Avenue home at around 10:46 p.m. on May 12, presumably thinking that the house was empty. Once inside, the burglar grabbed a 12-piece silverware set that had been stored in a wooden box and a Christmas serving set before being chased out of the house by the homeowners.

The man fled on foot and the couple called 911 shortly after the incident. Southampton Town Police responded and were joined by Quogue and Westhampton Beach police officers, a Riverhead Town Police K9 unit and a Suffolk County Police helicopter.

The responding agencies could not locate the suspect after an extensive search. Authorities have not provided a description of the suspect. The incident remains under investigation.

Facebook Comments