UPDATE: Man Arrested In Connecticut With Loaded Gun Was Southampton School District Security Guard


UPDATE: Friday, 5:30 p.m.

The Southampton School District has confirmed that Mr. Douglas is a part-time security guard for the district and has been reassigned pending the criminal investigation.

On Friday afternoon, district Superintendent Dr. Scott Farina released a statement saying that Mr. Douglas was arrested for a non-school related incident and has been reassigned to home. Mr. Douglas is not allowed on school grounds until further notice.

According to the statement, Mr. Douglas has worked for the district as a part-time security officer for he past four years, and that prior to being hired a he passed all finger printing and background checks. He also holds a security certification.

The district also wishes to assure parents that the district will remain fully staffed with security guards during Mr. Douglas’ absence.

“Yesterday, Shawn Douglas, a part time security guard for the district, was arrested in a non-school related incident,” the statement reads. “He was immediately reassigned to home pending the outcome of a legal investigation and is not permitted onto school grounds.

“The district will continue to be fully staffed with security department personnel as the safety of our students and staff remains our top priority.”


Connecticut police have arrested a Southampton man on Thursday after they say he boarded the Cross Sound Ferry intending to hurt a family member living in Massachusetts.

Shawn L. Douglas, 42, was arrested at 4:07 p.m. by New London Police when the ferry, which left from Orient Point in Southold earlier that day, docked at the New London port. According to a press release, the New London Police Department received a call from New York State Police saying that Mr. Douglas was wanted in connection to a firearm incident in Southampton earlier that day.

According to police, Mr. Douglas threatened to kill an unidentified person in New York and then notified family that he was heading to Massachusetts to kill a family member, before fleeing the scene. Upon docking, New London Police approached and detained Mr. Douglas, who was carrying a loaded Mac-10 pistol.

Mr. Douglas was charged with carrying a pistol without a permit, breach of peace, and possession of marijuana.

On Friday afternoon, New York State Police said the case is being reviewed by the District Attorney’s Office, and that charges are pending. More information was not immediately available.

Facebook Comments