The Plaza Cafe on Hill Street is once again open for business after a transformer explosion closed the restaurant for the weekend.
On Tuesday morning, the restaurant posted on its Facebook page that it would reopen for dinner Tuesday night, but that due to problems getting deliveries, not all menu items would be available.
The closing was necessary after the transformer, which supplies electricity to the building, failed on Thursday. Repairs had to be made over the weekend.
“It is huge what I’m going to lose from Thursday, Friday and Saturday in June,” business owner Doug Gulija had said late last week. “I’m in a seasonal area where you depend on three months to make a living.”
Mr. Gulija said he received a call around 5:30 a.m. Thursday with news of the transformer explosion. When he arrived at the Plaza around 8:30, he said, the area was already blocked off by police and firefighters, and he could not go into the restaurant because there were concerns about carbon monoxide.
PSEG Long Island is still investigating the situation, according to Jeffrey Weir, the company’s director of communications. He said power was restored to the building on Monday at approximately 6 p.m. Mr. Weir described the underground transformer as a customer-owned secondary service that connects the street to the property and had many problems, which caused power to back up into the transformer and thus the malfunction.
“There were multiple faults in the underground service that connected the building to the street,” Mr. Weir said.
A few years back, Mr. Gulija was in a similar situation when a transformer on the other side of the property also failed. At that time the Long Island Power Authority was in charge, and no one from that company returned his phone calls, he said.
Also affected by the transformer failure in the Hill Street complex were the Southampton Village Building Department, Southampton Village fire marshal and radio station WPPB FM, although it was not immediately clear whether they lost power as long ast the Plaza Cafe.