Police: Northampton Man Mugged In Woods Near His Home


A Northampton man was beaten and slashed by several individuals while walking through the woods near his home last week, Southampton Town Police said.

The victim, who lives on Birch Court, told police that as he was walking along a trail on the west side of Wildwood Lake at around 7:30 p.m. on June 18, several men attacked him and beat him to the ground. One of the attackers then cut the man on his left forearm with a sharp, unidentified object.

After beating him, the attackers stole $70 in cash from the victim, according to police.

The victim was transported to the Peconic Bay Medical Center in Riverhead for treatment.

The incident is under investigation.

Teens Busted For
Stealing From Cars

Two teenagers were arrested after officers caught them with stolen property reported missing from cars parked along Riverside Avenue in Riverside early Sunday morning.

Southampton Town Police responded to the area after a 911 caller reported seeing two men going through people’s yards and cars, and found Tyler Dunleavy, 19, of Riverhead and a 17-year-old from Flanders in the area.

Both were found in possession of various items, including a Sirius XM Radio receiver, a Michael Kors bag, sunglasses, black driving gloves and other stolen goods, according to authorities. Police arrested them at about 2:30 a.m. and charged both with petit larceny and fifth-degree criminal possession of stolen property, both misdemeanors, and unlawful possession of marijuana, a violation.

The 17-year-old also was found in possession of Xanax and charged with seventh-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance, a misdemeanor.

Both were taken to police headquarters in Hampton Bays for processing and arraigned the next day in Southampton Town Justice Court.

Mr. Dunleavy was transported to Suffolk County Jail in Riverside and held after failing to post $1,000 cash bail, while the 17-year-old was released on his own recognizance, according to officials.

Two Arrested For
Burglarizing Deli

Southampton Town Police arrested two men for breaking into a Tuckahoe deli in the early morning hours last Wednesday, June 18, and stealing $450 in cash.

Shortly after the burglary at the Dejesus Deli on County Road 39, officers said they stopped and interviewed Michael Sayles, an 18-year-old homeless man from Florida, at around 3 a.m. on Noyac Road in North Sea. After arriving on the scene, detectives said they arrested Mr. Sayles and his alleged accomplice, Bruce Thiele, 47, of Hampton Bays.

Both men were charged with third-degree burglary, a misdemeanor, according to authorities. They were transported to police headquarters in Hampton Bays for processing and arraigned later the same day in Southampton Town Justice Court.

Police said they recovered the money, though it has not yet been returned to the deli owners.

According to Detective Sergeant Lisa Costa, Mr. Thiele was charged with a second count of third-degree burglary after the investigation revealed that he had also robbed the deli in March. She said he stole an undetermined amount of cash during that burglary.

Both men are being held at the Suffolk County Jail in Riverside; Mr. Sayles’s bail was set at $10,000 cash bail, while Mr. Thiele is being held on $1,000 cash bail.

Facebook Comments