Officers with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement said they apprehended 25 undocumented individuals for possible deportation from across Long Island during a six-day sting that ended on November 9, called “Operation Secure Streets,” targeting individuals who had previously been charged with DWI or other charges.
Among those who were arrested were individuals living in Sag Harbor and Hampton Bays, although ICE officials did not identify them or provide any details about their arrests.
A press release from ICE said those arrested were from Brazil, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico and Ukraine.
Officers targeted undocumented individuals who had been convicted of aggravated DWI, second-degree assault, second-degree criminal trespassing, driving while intoxicated and driving while ability impaired.
Only one of the 25 individuals who was arrested did not have a DWI-related conviction, although all 25 people are being held for the completion of removal proceedings.
All foreign nationals who were arrested will be processed for deportation, according to the ICE press release, which added that anyone who had an outstanding order of deportation who returned to the United States illegally after being deported would be subject to immediate removal. Everyone else is either waiting to face an immigration judge or awaiting travel arrangements for removal.
“This operation targeted those who were convicted of driving under the influence, some with children in the car,” Thomas R. Decker, the field office director for ICE’s Enforcement and Removal Operations in New York, said in a prepared statement. “With the incredibly high number of vehicle accidents and related deaths as a result of DUIs, ICE will continue to arrest and remove these criminal aliens for the safety of our city’s residents.”